Space Era
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Space Era

Space Era is an original multiverse created in 1990 by Sam Manzie. This Forum is for the discussion and development of the Space Era universe.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Question Regarding Ship Design

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Samash
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Samash

A Question Regarding Ship Design Empty
PostSubject: A Question Regarding Ship Design   A Question Regarding Ship Design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06 2017, 21:31

Here guys, as you may or may not be aware, I use detailed spreadsheets to design the specifications of starships. As I am currently in the midst of a major revamp, and having to redo all the starships/starbases/vehicles, I was wondering, currently if two polities had the same technology level in Life Support, their life support systems would take up the same space. I.e. if two polities had TL3 Life Support, and each had a ship class with a crew of 600, both would use the same space for life support systems.

Equally, though there is no tech level for accommodation, there are set levels: None, Basic, Sparse, Standard, Spacious, and Luxurious. Two polities with starships with 600 crew, both using Standard Accommodation, would use the same space for accommodation.

So, I have been thinking. Should I use a multiplier to increase/decrease the size of the life support and accommodations for different sized species? Using the largest species of a polity to determine the modifier? So, like this:

OPTION A
Multiply the system size by the species' height in metres, divided by 1.75 (the average height of a Human, from what I can gather). Well, the information I found said 1.73 metres, but average height has been creeping up for millennia. So for example, a species that is 4 metres tall would use (4/1.75) = 2.286 times the system mass.

OPTION B
Divide the species size in metres by 1.75, cube it, then multiply that by the system size. So that same 4 metre tall species will use 11.942 times the system mass.

I think OPTION B makes more sense, what about you? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://space-era.forumotion.co.uk/
Mestes1701
Commander
Commander
Mestes1701

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Ship Design   A Question Regarding Ship Design Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07 2017, 19:20

I agree go with option B [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Samash
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Samash

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Ship Design   A Question Regarding Ship Design Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07 2017, 19:34

Very well, I shall do that then. Thanks for the input Smile
Back to top Go down
Samash
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Samash

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Ship Design   A Question Regarding Ship Design Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07 2017, 19:58

I have decided to take Option C, so I will use the average height of all species within a polity, rather than the height of the tallest species, as they could have specialized Accommodation, thus for a polity with 80cm tall species, a 1.8 metre tall species, and a 3 metre tall species, they will assume a 1.87 metre average.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Ship Design   A Question Regarding Ship Design Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question Regarding Ship Design
Page 1 of 1